Clara Gluten Free

Or something

After making the brisket yesterday, I was sick of meat. So it was either going to be tofu or beans today...so I made both. Actually, I made "veggie" burgers by with both. On a vegan whim, I put dairy-free cheese on a bunch of them. Inspired!...or something. They were good though!


Unlike the brisket, it turned out these worked best by cooking them in the oven for fairly long time, to dry them out. And by "turned out" I mean that I invented the recipe today, thought it would take 20 minute to cook...and it took an hour. The original recipe- that I seriously adapted- was from here, the Gluten-Free Vegan Family blog (which I now love has been added to my blog roll...of two blogs) but it didn't have tofu. Oh well. I guess I should have known that because of how much water has. As in, I know that I usually have to use weight of the toaster to press the water out. On a side note, if you're looking for a high-protein bean dip, make up these burgers and don't bake them. Inspired!...or something.

Thought I was done? jk, I'm not (don't worry, you'll never see that on the blog again), actually, I was and then I thought I would write one last update on the lactose-intolerance thing. Except for the one mean, when I forgot to take my lactaid and ate yogurt, I've been all better. Moral of that whole story is- if the celiac symptoms get better and then aren't getting better, you might have another allergy (ok, or intolerance) in play. Doesn't mean you don't have celiac. Just observe closely what foods you don't want to eat, what's in them, and what sort of reactions you get, and try cutting them out (or taking a lactaid! Huzzah for easy fixes!!). 


Black Bean Tofu Veggie Burgers- makes 12 burgers

1 small onion
1 package of tofu
3 14-oz cans of black beans
2 tbs potato starch
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
2 garlic cloves
salt + pepper
chili powder
ginger
cheese (or vegan cheese)

1- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Dice the onion in the food processor. Drain and rinse the tofu and process it in the food processor. Drain the beans and add to the mixture. Process everything until it is a homogeneous paste. 

2- Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Stir in oil and the potato starch. Press the garlic in a garlic press and stir into the mixture Add spices to taste. I suggest around 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tbs chili powder, 1/2 tsp ginger.

3- Grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray and form patties out of the mixture. Spray the patties with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes. Turn the oven down to 350 F and bake for at least 40 more. The longer they cook the harder they will be.

4- Remove from the oven, and preheat the broiler. Put a slice of cheese to cover the top of each burger (that you want to be a cheese burger). Broil for about 3 minutes. Remove and serve immediately. Leftovers can be reheated in the oven.




No comments:

Post a Comment