Clara Gluten Free

One got away...

Actually, remember what I said about caesin-free? Well, one post I meant to do got away from me. So here are caesin-full quesadillas. Yes, I do like tongue twisters. Anyway, these were made from flour tortillas made by my brother (yes, he is of the flour tortilla camp). But I made the filling.


I made the quesadilla filling and broiled them up. The quesadillas, not the fillings. There was only one filling. That was my great contribution. And considering the filling required a can of beans, a box of cherry tomatoes and a block of cheese, you can see how difficult that was. Ok, I do to more than that. I stole the cooking of the tortillas from my brother. I'm one kind sister. 


Flour Tortilla Recipe- about 14 8"-tortillas

1 cup rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup fava bean flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons shortening  (24 grams)
3/4-1 cup warm water


1- The process for making these is the same as my corn tortilla recipe, so I'll summarize here

2- Mix dry ingredients, cut in shortening until well mixed, pour in the water. Cover the dough a damp paper towel, prep the tortilla press, a tortilla warmer if you have one, and preheat your pan until very hot.

3- Press a tortilla, and bake it- about 1-2 minutes per side. Repeat until you have used up all the dough. Serve warm, or use for another recipe (like quesadillas...)

Black Bean and Cheese Quesadillas- about 14 quesadillas

14+ tortillas
1 15-oz can of black beans
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese/dairy-free cheese
1 package cherry tomatoes, sliced in half

1- Drain and rinse the beans. Mix in the tomatoes. Find a non-stick cookie sheet, or line a normal one with parchment paper. Preheat the oven on broil.

2- Take one tortilla, and place it on the baking pan. Fill with one hand-full filling and a hand full of cheese, about 1/4 cup each. Fold the tortilla in half. Sprinkle with more cheese.

3- Repeat until you are out of ingredients, or have made enough quesadillas. Broil the quesadillas for a few minutes- anywhere between 1-7 minutes, depending on how hot your oven is and how browned you want your quesadillas. Be sure to turn the quesadillas half-way through if it appears that some are cooking faster than others (ovens have hot spots and cold spots and so cook food a different temperatures depending on its location)

4- Remove from the oven, allow to cool a few minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment