Clara Gluten Free

Part II

As promised, here is what I did with the other half of my pie pastry. After defrosting it in the microwave for 20 seconds, I made a free form apple tart. Which I was kinda proud of. Ok, really proud of. That being said, I may or may not have had to slice the tart in half in order to slide it out of the oven when the door jammed. And that being said, it may or may not be the usual experience of a cook to have to do that. But, considering my kitchen experiences, I am going to have to err on the side of the oven jamming mostly shut being a usual experience. Ok, more on the tart-


I used left over pastry from two days previous when I  made that quiche and more of the apples, plus spices and sugar and tapioca flour and butter. Super yummy. But, I've started to wonder about caesin for me- the tart was tasty, but I didn't feel great. Always gotta be taking stock of this! After a bit of googling, it seems like gluten-free, caesin-free is pretty common. Caesin is a main protien in milk/dairy products, and apparently it has a similar structure to gluten. So, I'm planning on going caesin-less for a while. We'll see what happens. For the time being, the recipe for the tart filling is below. I think I'm going to try it again...except with non-dairy butter!! (yes, that is margarine, but I like the mysterious ring of "non-dairy butter"). 


Apple Tart Filling

1 ball of pie pastry dough, enough for one 9" pie shell
4 medium apples, sliced thin. Keep the skins on for more flavor (that's where the flavor molecules are located)
1 tbs cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs tapioca flour
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2-3 pats (non-dairy!) butter

1- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

2- Mix up the spices, salt, flour and sugar. Whisk together. Place the sliced apples in a large mixing bowl and toss in the sugar. Mix well- be sure to coat the apples with as much of the sugar mixture as possible.

3- Cover a work surface in tapioca flour. Working fairly quickly to keep the dough cold, coat the pastry in flour, roll out to a 12" diameter. Pour the apple mixture onto the center of the circle.

4- Fold the edges of the pastry over the pile apples. Make as neat a package as you can, pressing the dough together where it gaps.  Carefully repair holes by pressing together or patching with more dough. The goal is to keep the apples and the syrup in the tart as it cooks.

5- Carefully transfer onto your baking sheet. Put the butter pats on the top of the pile of apples. Bake for 30 min, or until the apples are soft (when you poke them with a knife, it should come out fairly easily). If it needs more time, leave the tart in- probably 5-15 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven. Let stand for about 15 minutes, to let the juices set up. Serve warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment