Clara Gluten Free

Broiled-cheese Sandwiches

Today, I made grilled cheese sandwiches, except I kinda think the word "grilled" is a bit not as honest as it could be. Really, it was broiled cheese sandwiches as I had no sandwich-suited grill handy. You just need to make do, I suppose. Well, mostly- every time I've grilled sandwiches, most of each sandwich ends up in the fire, where I have discovered, it is remarkably less edible. Anyway, either way I looked at it, today was another leftovers lunch, since throwing them out out is a waste of food, and money that could be put to use in the very-expensive gluten-free sweets aisle. Because everyone needs treats sometimes. With that in mind, today- and because I like them- we had steak-and-cheese-and-tomato grilled cheese sandwiches:



I bet you could use any meat in place of the steak, and when we don't have leftover meat, I always use tofu instead, so I know that works. It's a good method for stretching the protein from a meal when there isn't enough quantity to make another meal out of it alone. 

Another update on the lactose experiment- I really did say cheese, and  I really have been eating real dairy today...with a lactaid. Like going gluten free, when I just cut out gluten and observed how I felt, I am acting as though I am lactose intolerant, and seeing if it solves anything. So far so good. We'll see what happens. 


Grilled Cheese- makes 4 sandwiches

8 slices of bread
8 slices of cheese
1 tomato
leftover meat/tofu
butter

1- Find a broiler-safe pan that can fit all the sandwiches. Preheat the oven if necessary. Divide the bread up into four pairs (to become the sandwiches). Butter the sides of the bread that will become the outside of the sandwich. Slice the tomato very thin, into 12 slices, and slice the meat/tofu into edible-size pieces (under 1/4").

2- Open each up, layer one slice of cheese, three slices of tomato (to cover the cheese), meat/tofu, and top with another slice of cheese. Cover with the outside piece of bread.

3- Broil about 3-4 minutes, remove from the oven, turn over each sandwich over, and broil again for 3-4 minutes. Removes, slice, and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment