Clara Gluten Free

Asparagrass

We always have nicknamed asparagus to be asperagrass, which I think is kind of cute, since it belies the real association I have with the appearance of asparagus...which would be medieval weapons. Anyway. I roasted/broiled these for lunch yesterday, which worked out really well.


I was a bit worried that the asparagus would shrivel up and dry out before it browned, so I sprayed it with cooking spray. That way I could ensure with the high heat of the oven, if worst came to worst, I'd have burnt and underdone asparagus rather than shrivelly and dead. I'm not exactly sure, but I think the oil heats up faster than the asparagus spear, making it brown quicker than it would if I just left the whole tray in for the same amount of time. See, it's all about damage control based on estimates. Nothing could go wrong. Turns out my plan worked... there wasn't an asparagus spear that was all dried out.



Roasted Asparagus

Asparagus to cover the pan in one layer
Cooking spray
Salt + pepper

1- Wash and chop off the ends of the asparagus. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450. Lay out the asparagus on a broiler-safe pan. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Roll the spears over, so that all sides are coated with a fine layer of oil. Sprinkle on the salt and pepper, rolling the spears again so they are evenly coated. 

2- Roast for about 20 minutes- or until the spears start to look shrivelly. Increase the heat to 500 and roast for 10 more minutes- or until the tips are beginning to brown. 

3- Turn on the broiler. Broil for 5-7 minutes, at which point some spears may be dark brown. Rotate the pan if you need to even out the browning and broil for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Allow the spears to cool on the pan for 5-10 minutes and serve. 

  

2 comments:

  1. It looks really delicious and easy to do! Thank you for sharing! xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete