Clara Gluten Free

Cake-like

Today is pumpkin bread! Made last week...no it's not still in the breadbox. Too yummy for that. Except, no one had the nerve to finish off the last slice and face the wrath of the rest of the family....so it's in the freezer. I'm betting someone will finish it from there. Or it will go into a Pumpkin Bread Ice Cream Sundae.


I made omlettes the day before I made the pumpkin bread and because egg yolks and I rather strongly dislike egg yolks, I kept a few out of the egg mix and saved them to make into something else. That is, I wanted to use them in my grand scheme of super-rich pumpkin bread. Because egg yolks are a great emulsifier/binder and I wanted to use light, absorbent flours to make a damp texture, I thought I'd need them. Which I did. I gave this recipe the cake-treatment, that is creaming everything before hand get lots of air into the mixture so that the texture is much lighter (for more info, take a look here) However, in good distracted-cook fashion, I got halfway through my recipe and realized I was out of pumpkin pie-type spices, which taste more like pumpkin than pumpkin does...because pumpkin tastes like squash. Actually, according to my sister, pumpkins are really a berry. On that note- here's the recipe I made, plus recommended spices. Alternatively, spice to your own taste before pouring into the pan. I love a good, random ending. :)



Rich Pumpkin Bread

1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca flour 
1/2 cup corn starch
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthum gum
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp all-spice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 egg yolks
1 egg
scant tbs vanilla
1 stick of butter, softened
1 15-oz can of pumpkin (I use Libby's brand)
1/4 cup milk

1- Set the oven to 375 F. Grease one loaf pan. Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl (flours, baking soda, baking powder, xanthum gum, spices, salt). Set aside.

2- Cream together butter, and sugar with a mixer on high until well combined. Add the eggs and vanilla, turn down to medium and continue to cream until the mixture is light, fluffy and the color of light peanut butter. Mix in the pumpkin.

3- Stir in the dry ingredients on low. Add the milk if the batter is looking dry. It should be like pancake batter. I added a tiny bit more brown sugar, because I was planning that this would be a dessert bread, so you can stir in a little more brown sugar to taste, if you want. Pour into the loaf pan.

4- Bake for about 1 hour or until the center of your bread reads 200-210 F on an instant read thermometer. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve. With cream cheese and chocolate chips, if you're feeling flamboyant. 


No comments:

Post a Comment