Clara Gluten Free

Ebelskivers

Somehow we ended up with an ebelskiver pan.What is an ebelskiver you ask? Well, so did I. Turns out is a traditional Danish pastry aka- a filled pancake. Also turns out that they are really hard to not burn. So, tip: don't multitask this one...like I always attempt to do. And it's especially hard to cook them well if you preheat the pan to high, so bonus tip: start the pan out on medium heat and allow to preheat for longer. I think it heats the pan easier that way. Anyway, this recipe happened for lunch one day (ok...a few weeks ago! I confess!) when I really wanted pancakes. Then my mom said she wanted ebelskivers. Then my brother said he won't eat ebelskivers. So, instead of filling them with meat and cheese, I filled them with sweet blueberries. I know. Underhanded. Then, I burnt too much batter to the pan, and so made the rest of it into pancakes. 


Aside from successfully wrestling some pretty (ok and some ugly) ebelskivers from my pan (I think the nonstick coating was scratched off at some point after the dawn of time...that can't be helping), the true suceess of the day was my Super Amazing Idea. I made blueberry pie filling...in the microwave. Blueberry pie is famously watery because blueberries are very low on pectin, the "gluten" of fruits. No, it's not real gluten (celiacs- we can relax now). Pectin is a protien that holds fruits and veggies (I think) together. For example, when you cook cranberries or apples (which are both high in pectin) with sugar, the juices gel together and- with some more work- you get jelly. Blueberries- less so. They don't have much pectin. So you cheat like I did and use cornstarch, or tapioca starch- or dried pectin itself- for your pie. Or your super amazing microwave blueberry jam/pie filling.



PS: It turns out that people have already thought of my super amazing idea. Not surprising- the interwebs are full of great thinkers (and not-so-great ones, but that's for a different blog). Speaking of which- heard of foodily? It's a different sort of search engine for recipes, that allows you to save them and friends to follow what you save. I'm thinking of getting a blog facebook (eek!) and linking it to foodily (eek! eek!) so everyone can see the food I am thinking about. Any thoughts?

PPS: I've been working away on GF bread recipes. I started with Gluten Free Goddess's bread recipe, but I'm totally revamping it to suit my own needs. Like being egg-free so I can do long rises. As I come out with recipes, of course I'll let you know. Stay tuned. :)

Ebelskivers

2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups tapioca flour
1 tsp xanthum gum
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbs sugar
6 tbs melted butter
2 eggs
1 tbs vanilla
2 1/2 cups milk

1- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Melt the butter, mix in the eggs and vanilla. Add to dry ingedients. Stir in the milk. Add more milk if necessary so that the batter pours fairly smoothly.

2- Meanwhile, grease and preheat your ebelskiver pan on medium. Once it is ready, fill a depression 2/3 the way full with batter. Add about a tbs of (blueberry) filling. Cover with more batter. Do this for the rest of your ebelskiver slots.

3- Cook each ebelskiver for about 3 minutes, carefully flip them (it takes practice, don't worry). And cook for 3 more, or until they are fully cooked and golden brown on all sides. You might need to turn them another time, perhaps in a different direction. Serve warm. Or, for dessert, with vanilla whipped cream.

2b- Alternatively, grease and preheat a griddle or very large frying pan to medium heat, or 375 F, to make pancakes. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the surface, plop some blueberry filling on top of that, and then cover with a tbs or two of batter. Allow to cook until the edges look solid- about 3 min. Flip your pancakes, allow them to finish off cooking- about 3 min. Serve warm. 

Blueberry filling 

approx 1 cup frozen blueberries, defrosted until warm
1 cup hot water
2 tbs cornstarch

2 tbs sugar
1 wedge of lemon or 1/4 tsp 

1- Defrost the blueberries until warm. Measure out hot water, stir in cornstarch until dissolved, add to the blueberries, and heat for 1 min, 30 sec on high or until gelled.

2- Stir in the sugar and the lemon. Use for ebelskivers or serve on toast like jam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment