Clara Gluten Free

Squash Mountain

While formulating my Thanksgiving Post (it's coming soon! I promise!) I was digging through my picture archives when I came across these pictures from a few weeks ago when I made squash with cranberries and pine nuts. After that "What is that?? .... oh, i remember now" moment, I thought- how did I not share this on the blog! It was my creative answer to trying to tackle squash mountain...aka- the rather large surplus of squash we got from our CSA farm (community supported agriculture. Not CSI or the CIA. Just to clarify that.)


I saw that, in addition to squash mountain, we had pine-nuts and cranberries, and I thought that the heartiness of the squash would contrast well with fresh, acidic cranberries (acid = sour flavor, just to note), and the richness of the pine-nuts would help balance the two. Turns out it worked great, though a bit of brown sugar to take down the sour of the cranberries and play up the earthiness of the nuts and squash, was important. Anyway, my method for cooking the squash was to roast the living daylights out of it, just like I like to do with root veggies. You don't have to...I just like my food mushy and sour. Go figure.

Winter Squash with Cranberries and Pine-nuts

*Note: this recipe is very adaptable depending on your quantity of ingredients and how you want to balance the flavors. Here's what I did, based on how much squash I had, but definitely feel free to play around with the ratios. Also, use whatever squash you like or is on hand. I mixed butternut, acorn and some that I'd never seen before and whose names I don't know and possibly never will. I almost hacked up the little pumpkins scattered round the house for decoration (I thought they would be yummy!!)...but respect and reason prevailed..and I decided to wait until after Thanksgiving.

approx 5 lbs squashes 
1/4 cup melted butter or high-heat oil (like canola, or sunflower)
Salt and pepper
1 12-oz bag of fresh cranberries
approx 1/3 of pine-nuts
approx 1/4 cup dark brown sugar

1- Preheat the oven to 450 F, peel the squashes, remove the seeds and chop it all into 1 inch cubes, or smaller. Coat with butter, salt and pepper and roast on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 1 hour.

2- Heat a dry, nonstick skillet on high heat. Toast the pine nuts for about 5 minutes- be sure to flip them over a lot. They burn- fast. Set aside.

3- Check how close to done the squash is. If it's about 15 minutes away, wash the cranberries, and scatter them over the squash- particularly the areas where the squash is the darkest. Roast for about 15 more minutes. Once all the cranberries have popped, and oozed out over the squash, remove from the oven. You may wish to turn up the heat to 500 F if you want to brown the squash and speed up the cranberries.

4- Put the squash/cranberries into a serving bowl. Mix in the pine-nuts. Stir in almost of the brown sugar. Salt and pepper to taste- add more sugar if you want. Sprinkle the last of the sugar on top for garnish. Serve immediately. 


2 comments:

  1. i like mushy and sour food:) this recipe looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If you get a chance to try it- please let me know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete