Clara Gluten Free

Flourless Peppermint-Chocolate Cookies

So...blame that absence on baking holiday cookies and school...which I may or may not have done to the exclusion of everything else. Anyway. Here's the start of my series on holiday baking. This year, diagnosised and all, it's REALLY! EXCITING! to be making lots of holiday treats that are well, safe for a celiac to eat. To kick this off- I made a recipe I found off of Foodily, but the recipe originally came from   this lovely blog . How can you go wrong with any of the words "Flourless", "Chocolate" or "Cookies"??



The first time I made the cookies, I wanted to reduce how much the spread, and everything in the world needs peppermint, so I tweaked them to suit. These are flourless, so they are naturally GF, as always- assuming your ingredients are clean. As for how they work- the binding and the moistness comes from the egg whites. Similar to meringues, but not made into a foam. However, I got an idea to take down the spreading from meringue cookies. Ever made meringues? Well, they always call for an acid (cream of tartar, usually), which helps unfold the egg white protiens to they will bond into a network. So I added baking soda, which has cream of tartar and baking powder (baking soda, a.k.a- sodium bicarbonate- a levener), in order to help get the structure I wanted and get a little bit of lift to the cookies. I think it worked. I also increased the cocoa powder and switched in a darker chocolate in order to balance the peppermint I put in. You could use semisweet or milk chocolate, but I like the dark flavor of the bittersweet. Well, actually, I like the dark flavor of unsweetened baking chocolate...but I try not to inflict it on normal people. 



Flourless Chocolate Peppermint Cookies- makes 3 dozen

1 cup cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
4 egg whites
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbs vanilla
1/2 tbs peppermint extract
1 1/4 cups bittersweet chips/shavings
1/3 cup crushed candy cane (about 7)

1- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line three baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly wipe with oil/butter to grease. Crush the candy canes is a strong plastic bag, with a hammer or some other large, heavy object. Combine with chocolate chips, and set aside.

2- Combine cocoa and sugar in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Stir on low to combine. Add the egg whites (you can reserve the yolks for up to 3 days in the fridge. Crème Brûlée, anyone?), extracts baking powder, and salt. Stir on high to combine, until the batter is stretchy. Stir in the chocolate chips and candy cane.

3- Put about 10-12 1" balls of cookie dough on each cookie sheet (space them out so there are about 2 inches of space between each ball of dough). Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies feel solid, but the center still feels soft. 

4- Remove from oven, allow to cool on the cookie sheet 5-10 minutes. Fend off the people who try to take the cookies too early (the cookies will disintrigrate) and then move to a cooling rack/serve immediately. 


2 comments:

  1. Good recipe, never thought I'd see flour less cookies though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I was a bit surprised too, when I first saw the idea, but it ended up working really well- really chewy!

    ReplyDelete