Clara Gluten Free

Sandwiches, Part I

I've got two sandwiches I've been meaning to blog. And by meaning, I mean sitting on my computer while I think about Thanksgiving  and bake Christmas cookies (I'll have those recipes soon!!). So, here's Sandwich 1- an Apple Cheddar Panini


Unfortunately for me, there's not a whole lot of food chemistry happening with a sandwich, but that explains why they are easy to make (Look at that! I just came up with a whole idea to explain...when there is no real information to talk about!). Well, except- keep in mind what the consistency of your cheese is going to be like when it melts- all cheeses melt in different ways...and some separate into curds and oils (kind of really gross- but those are generally very hard cheeses only) The main thing to think about is taste: sandwiches hold on to the flavor of their ingredients really well, so it's important to make sure you have good combinations. So, in good creative-cook fashion, I stole this idea from a Whole Foods recipe. Except I put it on bread, not tortillas. Yes, I know. Brilliant. 


Apple Cheddar Paninis/Melts- makes 6

1 Crisp, sour Apple, sliced thin (I like Honeycrisp, Fuji and Braeburn)
1 or 2 1-oz Slices of Cheese for each sandwich
Butter
12 slices of bread

1- Preheat a panini press or oven broiler. Lay out the pairs of slices of bread. Butter the outside of each sandwich (helps with browning the outside)

2- For each sandwich- layer bread (butter-side down), slice of cheese to cover the bread, slices of apple to cover the bread, more cheese if using, top piece of bread (butter-side up).

3- Press in the panini-maker until golden brown or broil 7-10 minutes (be sure to flip them part way through!). Allow to cool for a few minutes, slice and serve immediately. 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds incredibly delicious!!
    www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! glad you like them! :)

    ReplyDelete