Clara Gluten Free

Sandwiches, Part II

...and to conclude that short series on sandwiches- here is the other recipe. Again, I did a panini, but grilled cheese or broiled open-face melts would work too- especially for this one, which is a jazzed up tuna melt.

I was making lemony tuna salad, when I realized didn't have mayo (dairy-free or otherwise) so I decided to go for coconut oil. And was surprised to discover when I went to mix up my tuna that coconut oil is very, very hard at room temperature. So, I cut it int to the tuna like butter into flour for pastry (yes, I know- weird connection), but I bet if you melted it and stirred it in it would work better. Haven't tried that yet- so consider yourself warned. And on that ominous note- I'd just like to say... it was the Best! Tuna! Melt! Ever!!


Coconut Lemon Tuna Melts- serves 4

2 5-oz cans of tuna, drained
3 celery sticks- washed + sliced
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
2 lemons- zested + juiced
1-2 1 oz slices of cheese for each sandwich
4 slices of bread or 4 rolls, halved


1- Preheat a panini press or oven broiler. Combine in a medium bowl tuna, celery, lemon zest/juice and coconut oil (you may have to cut this is in like butter into pastry. If so- use a big fork). Lay out the pairs of slices of bread. Butter the outside of each sandwich (helps with browning the outside)

2- For each sandwich- layer bread (butter-side down), slice of cheese to cover the bread, tuna, more cheese if using, top piece of bread (butter-side up).

3- Press in the panini-maker until golden brown or broil 7-10 minutes (be sure to flip them part way through!). Allow to cool for a few minutes, slice and serve immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment