Clara Gluten Free

Banana Toffee Chip Cookies

I've been calling these Bananoffee Chip Cookies because I like combining words [and I, the Copy-Editing Sister, like to capitalize things. A lot. Lots of capital letters. More Capital Letters].

Anyway.

More importantly, I like cookies!


When we (my blog-copy-editting sister and I, that is) [I've already introduced myself] were candy-making over the holidays, and she made some toffee that she was less-than-thrilled with, but that I wanted to use, so I turned it into these cookies. Since bananas can be used as binders, I opted to remove the eggs from my dough, to prevent it  from being glued together too much. As a result, the dough was not very elastic, so not much cookies spreading ensued, and instead the cookie-base is fluffy. And it works well to hold all the chocolate chips and heavy toffee chunks together. Which was kind of the point all along.

Banana Toffee Chip Cookies- makes 36

3 + scant 1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1 tbs xanthum gum
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tbs salt

2 medium overripe bananas, mashed
2 sticks of butter, melted and browned, and slightly cooled
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp banana extract (optional)

7 oz toffee, broken into chunks
1/2 cup large semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

1- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, gum, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together, and set aside.

3- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in large bowl while using a hand mixer, combine bananas, butter, sugar, vanilla, and banana extract, until smooth and slightly fluffy.

4- Fold in flours, stir until almost combined. Stir in toffee and chocolate chips.

5- Shape into 1" - 1 1/2" balls. Bake 20 minutes, turning sheet half-way through. Allow to set on pan for 2 minutes. Remove, cool on a wire cooling rack for a few minutes. Serve immediately, or cool entirely and top with peanut butter. Eat or freeze within a day.



No comments:

Post a Comment