Clara Gluten Free

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies II

More cookies! This is rapidly turning into a Series of Posts. Life could be worse. Anyway, I know I made vegan chocolate chip cookies before, and that I made banana toffee chocolate chip cookies in my last post, so, here's another version.

(shout out to my blog-copy-editing sister who loves lighting...nifty shadows, no?)

[As the copy-editing sister, I must suggest you capitalize the s in "shout-out". I would also like to say:

(1) Nifty shadows, indeed! I would question whether the red-balance of the photo is a little high. They're chocolate chip, not cherry, cookies! (Note to GF-Baking-Master Sister: cherry cookies should be considered for immediate experimentation—and by immediate, I mean in six months, when cherries are in-season.)

(2) Our fully-grown cat is chasing his tail, and has been doing so almost non-stop for the past week, on-and-off with the other cat. They spin around on their sides on the cat-structure, directly beneath the bed of the third cat (Moo), until they get bored and fall asleep. 

(3) hello, world! That's all.]

While the last vegan chocolate chip cookies were big and chewy, these come out small and fluffy, with lots of chocolate chips. There isn't a sugar/egg-creaming-step to create air bubbles, which expand and do the usual food-chemistry wonders that end up with "chewy cookie". Instead, these rise in the oven and turn out more like "sweet quickbread with tons of chocolate chips". 

As for flavor—I think the flaxseed contributes some nuttiness, and the salt helps to balance all the chocolate and sweetness. Though, the salt can be reduced if you want, but if you're looking to leave out the flaxseed, beware. It's also a binder (in place of eggs), so it's best to leave that in, or, at least, know that's what it does when you're being clever and inventive [note from the copy-editing sister: we encourage clever inventing]. I say this because the experience I've always had when I start experimenting is one where I, um, like to know what I am working with—unless, of course, I'm all "tally-ho! it's adventure time!"; this happens more than you might think. [I also encourage adventuring with all of the clever and inventive abandon as is suitable. Carry on.]


Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies II- makes 24

1 c almond flour
1 c brown rice flour
2 tsp xanthum gum
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbs salt
1/2 brown sugar, packed

1/3 c water
2 tbs flaxseed meal
1 tbs vanilla
1/4 c oil
1/4 c water + approx 3 tbs

10 oz chocolate chips

1- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. 

2- Combine 1/3 c water and flaxseed meal. Let stand to thicken. 

3- Whisk together flours, xanthum gum, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. 

4- Combine  vanilla, oil, 1/2 c water. Stir into the dry ingredients. If the dough is too dry, i.e. well-stirred but not all the flour is incorporated, add a few additional tablespoons of water at a time, until the dough is well combined. It will be soft and stretchy-ish. Stir in the chocolate chips.

5- Divide into 1" - 1 1/2" balls, place on cookie sheet, and flatten slightly. Bake 20 minutes, or until golden around the edges. Remove from oven, let stand 1 minute, cool on a wire rack. Serve immediately, or freeze within a day or two. 


No comments:

Post a Comment